CURRENT VACANT SEATS
Below is a list of current commission vacancies.
|Clergy Appointed – Zone 2||Term ends: 12-31-2022||Appointed seat. Must work in Far South Area|
|Business Appointed – Zone 1||Term ends: 12-31-2021||Vacant until 2021 election. Must work in Far South commission area.|
|Elected/At-Large||Term ends: 12-31-2021||Vacant until 2021 election. Must be at least 18 years of age and reside in commission area.|
HOW TO BECOME A COMMISSIONER
The Far South Columbus Area Commission holds elections each year for Commissioners on the second Saturday in September. Follow these steps to be considered:
- Read the “Responsibilities of a Commissioner” found on page 20 of the Commission By-Laws.
- Download and print a Declaration of Candidacy form.
Forms shall be made available no later than the first Monday in July. Printed copies of the Candidacy form will also be available at the South High Library, 3540 South High Street, Columbus, OH 43207.
- Declaration of Candidacy forms, along with a candidate bio and photo, must be submitted to the designated address on the form no later than the fourth Friday of August at 4 p.m.
- Voting will occur on the second Saturday of September by private ballot from 10:00 a.m. – 12 noon. The predetermined location for voting will be posted here and online on the City of Columbus City Bulletin.
- All ballots will be counted and certified, and the recorded results announced publicly.
HOW TO FILL A VACANT COMMISSION SEAT
A vacant seat that is open after September voting will follow these rules:
- The vacant seat will be by appointment with recommendation of the Commissioners.
- Appointments shall be made for no less than one (1) year and no more than three (3) years.
- Each year will begin January 1st and end December 31st.
- If a seat has only 12 months left to serve, the appointment must be made by the first Thursday of December, otherwise the seat will remain unfilled until the next election.
- A candidate must submit a Bio with photo to the Recording Secretary three (3) days prior to the meeting to distribute to all Commissioners.
- Questions may be asked of the candidate by the Commissioners in a regular scheduled Commission Meeting.
- A motion to accept the candidate may be made, second and roll call vote.
In order to be considered for any vacant at-large seat on the Commission, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Reside in the commission area
Business and Clergy appointed seats must work in the commission area.
Contact us with any questions regarding the election process.